Assignation (Was Re: SimpleDesk 1.0 RC2)

Started by Afro, April 05, 2010, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afro

Arantor, how about assigning tickets to individuals, maybe through their profiles ?
That possible ?

Gruffen

Afro

Yes, if you want to assign a ticket to a member, irrespective of the permission of his membergroup ?
Just like picking out a random member to assign ticket to ?

Gruffen

Why are you posting in the 1.0 RC2 announcement anyway?

You can't assign it to just someone randomly, they have to have the staff permission. But you use the 'Assign' option at the top of a ticket... then it takes you to a screen where you pick the name of the person you want to assign it to.

[FailSafe]

I think that the ability to have a drop down box in a person's profile to assign a ticket to them would be a very cool, but very minor feature. Just for ease of use. But i'm not sure it'll be worth all of the trouble.

Gruffen

To figure out who a ticket can be assigned to is multiple database queries. I'm very hesitant to put that in the main ticket display page for performance reasons.

That said, with what I've got in mind for overhauling permissions in 1.1... it will likely be more practical.

[FailSafe]

Like I said, it wouldn't be worth all of the work to have a drop down in the person's profile to assign a ticket. :P

Gruffen

You never know, in 1.1 it may happen since other fields will be there.

hadesflames

But I also think only staff should be able to have tickets assigned to them. If I were the customer of a site using a helpdesk, or even just a user, I wouldn't want so much as the possibility of a random, none staff user being able to see my ticket, let alone be assigned to it...
*will add something eventually*

Gruffen

That's exactly it. There is a sanity check made, which is multiple DB queries in some cases when it's completed.

Only staff can be assigned tickets - the list that's currently visible from the Assign page is the exact list that you'd have in such a dropdown.

hadesflames

There's no need for me to go into someone's profile to assign tickets. If this feature were implemented, it would be pretty useless as the assign button in the actual ticket is WAY more convenient. Why would I need to assign the ticket in the user profile if I already have the assign button right there for me to use right after I see a new ticket? Such a feature would only serve to bloat the software IMO...

Gruffen

Oh.. I misread what was being suggested.

No, I don't see the need to put it in the profile either, that would be somewhat irritating (and bloated)

[FailSafe]

Quote from: hadesflames on April 05, 2010, 06:37:54 PM
There's no need for me to go into someone's profile to assign tickets. If this feature were implemented, it would be pretty useless as the assign button in the actual ticket is WAY more convenient. Why would I need to assign the ticket in the user profile if I already have the assign button right there for me to use right after I see a new ticket? Such a feature would only serve to bloat the software IMO...

I figured it would just be a "if you're already in their profile" kind of thing. But as I said before it's only a very minor feature, and it'd do more harm than good. I'd be cool to imagine to have at least.

hadesflames

Well, it would also have to figure out which ticket to assign the user to, and usually, you assign the ticket to someone while you're reading it, so I doubt you'd ever go to someone's profile and assign the ticket there. Not to mention it would also have to show for only staff. Basically this would be more bloat than anything else. But I certainly hope that this doesn't discourage you guys from suggesting more features =]

Afro

Arantor kind of understood my initial question, then missed it again.
I know where the assign button is located on the ticket page.
What i meant was, the possibility of just assigning a ticket to a random member instead of a staff.
Take for instance, you have a ticket that a person who is not a staff can solve,
How would you assign the ticket to the person since he or she is not on the staff ?

You can have a link on every profile that says assign ticket, which only admin or special membergroups can see.
Then the link takes you to ticket page where you now select the ticket you would wanna assign to this person.
Its not a major feature, Just that i tried yesterday and figured out that only the staff can get tickets assigned to them.